George Floyd, a 46 year old black man, died in police custody on Monday in the city of Minneapolis. The same evening a video went viral, showing unarmed George Floyd pinned to the ground groaning “I can’t breathe”, as a white policeman kneels on his neck. Since then, Black Lives Matter demonstrations have taken place across the USA demanding justice. Here’s how YOU can help drive positive change, and demand justice for George Floyd.
- Contact the Minneapolis District Attorney, Mike Freeman, to demand justice: 612-348-5550, email@example.com, hennepinattorney.org/about/contact.
- Contact the Mayor of Minneapolis, Jacob Frey, on 612
- Sign the multiple petitions demanding charges to be pressed against the officers involved. Here are a few of the most popular ones: change.org/p/mayor-jacob-frey-justice-for-george-floyd, act.colorofchange.org/sign/justiceforfloyd_george_floyd_minneapolis, change.org/p/change-org-the-minneapolis-police-officers-to-be-charged-for-murder-after-killing-innocent-black-man
- Donate to the George Floyd Memorial Fund, created by George’s family at gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd
- Use your social media platform to highlight the issue and share information on what can be done to drive change
- Send cards, letters of encouragement and/or monetary contributions to George’s family at: The Estate of George Floyd – c/o Ben Crump Law, PLLC – 122 S. Calhoun Street – Tallahassee, FL 32301. Attn: Adner Marcelin